On 22 April 2014, The Global Governance Institute, in cooperation with Vesalius College of the Free University of Brussels and Flimmer Film hosted an evening debate on the topic of Drone Warfare and Global Governance. It included an excuslvie pre-screening of the documentary DRONE, along with a round table discussion between experts & and an interactive Q&A Session
DRONE is a comprehensive investigation by award-winning Director Tonje Hessen Schei into the consequences of drone warfare. It explores the recruitment of young pilots at gaming conventions and the changing definition of “going to war”. moral stances of engineers behind the technology. It sheds light on the world leaders giving their secret goahead to engage in the biggest targeted killing program in history, thus drawing into question violations of civil liberty, and documenting the fight of individuals for transparency, accountability and justice.
18.00 – 18.10 Welcome Remarks and Introduction (J. Koops, Director GGI/Professor Vesalius College, VUB)
18.10 – 19:10 Screening of the film DRONE (For further info, Click HERE.)
19.10 – 20.30 Informal Discussion with Q & A
BRANDON BRYANT Former Drone Operator; featured on DemocracyNow!, Vice on HBO, CNN, Fox Business: The
Independent , NBC, GQ, and The Intercept
ANDREW FEINSTEIN Premiere Global Arms Trade Expert; former S. African MP turned whistleblower; author of
Shadow World: Inside the Global Arms Trade
TONJE HESSEN SCHEI Award-winning director of Play Again, and Independent Intervention
MARCEL KOLVENBACH (via webcast) Director of Netwars
SHAHZAD AKBAR Cofounder of the Foundation for Fundamental Rights; Preeminent lawyer in Pakistan advocating for the victims of drone strikes
A report on the event will follow soon.
For further material related to the issue of the rule of law and Drone targeted kllings, see the recent ruling by the US Court of Appeals, HERE.
GGI Background Paper 1/2011. The United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women (UN Women) by Marina N. Lynch
GGI Briefing Paper 2/2011: European Civilian Crisis Management: Bridging the Resources Gap?
by Hubertus Juergenliemk
GGI Analysis Paper 1/2011: "The Changing Constellation of Power & Resistance in the Global Debate over Agrofuels"
by Aaron Leopold.
- EU return to UN peacekeeping
- GGI invited as Knowledge Partner of Global Economic Symposium 2015
- GGI co-organizes Conference on the "Global Peace Index 2014"
- US Court ruling on Information on CIA Drone Killings Important First Step
- Drone Warfare and the Future of Global Governance
- New Project on "Europe's Return to UN Peacekeeping" launched
- Seminars on Intelligence and Cybersecurity (Winter 2014 & Spring 2015)
- Intelligence and Cybersecurity Seminars
- GGI coordinates project on "Europe’s Return to United Nations peacekeeping"
- Developing a method for nurturing innovation processes within primary and secondary education: a partnership with Tate Modern