The European Peace and Security Studies (EPSS) certificate programme is a semester-long programme that provides in-depth and unique insights into the changing nature and fundamental challenges of contemporary security issues from a distinctly Brussels perspective. By pooling the combined expertise and resources of four educational institutions in Brussels – the Global Governance Institute(GGI), the Belgian Royal Military Academy, the Institute for European Studies (IES) and Vesalius College, students are taught by prominent specialists in the field of civilian and military security issues, in both theory and practice.
In addition to the 5 core courses offered, the EPSS programme includes a high-profile guest lecture series and symposium given by academic experts and leading practitioners from the European Union, NATO, the United Nations and related security organisations. Students are actively encouraged to establish and maintain such contacts with key practitioners from Brussels-based institutions and the wider international academic community.
Fall 2013 Guest Lecture Series.
3 October 2013: The Gulf Region and Global Affairs: Challenges, Changes and Opportunities, Dr. Christian Koch, Director, Gulf Research Centre, Geneva
7 October 2013: The European Union Foreign Policy of my Dreams, Professor Johan Galtung
17 October 2013: The European Union and a WMD-Free Zone in the Middle East, Amb. Cosimo Risi, Italian Ambassador to the UN Disarmament Conference, Geneva and The European Union, Turkey and the Future of CSDP, Alfredo Rizzo
13 November 2013: Armistice Day Reflections – Being a Soldier: Personal Reflections of Three Young Ex-Soldiers, VeCo Students Umit Seven, Cian Westmoreland, Sean Dunn
18 November 2013: Reflections on the Military Aspects of the EU’s Common Security and Defence Policy, Col Hans Ilis-Alm, European Union Military Staff.
25 November 2013: The European Union and the Syria Crisis, Maciej Golubiewski , Desk Officer Syria, European Union External Action Service
2 December 2013: Political Corruption and The Dangers of the Global Arms Trade, Andrew Feinstein, Director Corruption Watch, UK and Author of “The Shadow World: Inside the Global Arms Trade”
Fall 2014 Guest Lecture Series.
12 September 2014: General Conference: Europe’s Return to United Nations Peacekeeping: Challenges, Opportunities and Ways Ahead
– Rory Keane, Head of the UN Liaison Office for Peace and Security, Brussels
– Helena Boguslawska, Deputy Head CSDP, EEAS
– Alexandra Novosseloff, Senior Policy Advisory at the Strategic Policy Department of the French Ministry of Defense
2 October 2014: NATO, Russia, Ukraine: A New Strategic Reality, Dr. Petr Lunak, Deputy Head Engagments Section, Public Diplomacy Division, NATO
16 October 2014: In Pursuit of Prosperity: US Foreign Policy in an Era of Natural Resources and Scarcity
– Dr. David Reed, Senior Policy Advisor for WWF-US
– Dr. Theodore Trefon, Congo Expert & Researcher, Belgian Royal Museum for Central Africa
17 October 2014: The Future of Peace Studies and Peace Research, Prof. Dr. Charles Webel, University of New York, Prague
18 November 2014: The Role of culture in the emergence and reconciliation of the conflict in Ukraine
– Dr. Olga Burlyuk, Centre for EU Studies, Ghent University
– Dr. Yevhen Bystrytsky, Executive Director of the International Renaissance Foundation
– Jerzy Pomianowski, Executive Director of the European Endowment for Democracy
25 November 2014: How Japan sees the future of Asia and copes with it: Challenges & Opportunities, H.E Mr. Masafumi Ishii, Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary to the Kingdom of Belgium, concurrently Representative of the Government of Japan to NATO
1 December 2014: Between regional and international crises: Tehran’s view on IS and nuclear talks, Aniseh Bassiri Tabrizi, Visiting Fellow, European Council on Foreign Relations; Associate Member of the European Iran Research Group (EIRG); PhD candidate, War Studies, King’s College London
4 December 2014: Role of Civil Society of Belgium in Lobbying Peace in Ukraine
– Bogdana Depo, Marie Curie Fellow and former advisor to Standing Rapporteur on Ukraine Jacek Saryusz-Wolski, “EU-Ukraine: Current status of institutional relationships. Experience of civil society activist”
– Anna Yavorska, Head of NGO Bridge EU-Ukraine “Promoting Ukraine in Belgium: NGOs, think tanks, and communities”
– Eva Majewski, Head of European Democrat Students “Friends of Ukraine: role of youth”
– Marta Barandiy, Fellow of Konrad-Adenauer Foundation, Head of NGO Promote Ukraine “Platform for Peace for Ukraine:
making networks with Ukrainians”
Contemporary approaches for tackling international peace and security issues require not only a coherent global approach, but also mutually reinforcing responses involving an effective United Nations ...more about this focus area